Imperial Guard without a Chimera in sight.

So this week I am 99% sure I will be able to get to my FLGS for its Wednesday afternoon/night of gaming. Something I haven’t done in around 2 months, in fact I dont think I have rolled a dice in that time either! Hopefully this means I will be able to roll what I want, when I want, in the order I want it... maybe.


Anyways with the release of the New Blood Angels Codex I am sure there is at least 1 person I will end up playing who is using them. In addition to some wilful Space Puppies that I feel need a firm tap on the nose.

I also intend to take down a Warhammer army of Dwarves. Their main aim is to find some Hill which happens to have a Dwarven cemetery beneath it that needs defending. I aim to figure out that list in the next few days.

The 40k list I am gonna take is 1500 points of Guard. I have decided not to use my Flying force (seen here), and am instead going for a variation of this list.

Company Command Squad, Creed, Officer of the Fleet, Vox Caster

1st Platoon:
Command Squad: 3 x Flamers, Vox Caster
1st Squad: Vox Caster, Autocannon
2nd Squad: Vox Caster, Autocannon
1st Heavy Weapon Squad: 3 x Rocket Launchers
2nd Heavy Weapon Squad: 3 x Lascannons

2nd Platoon:
Command Squad: 3 x Plasma Gun, Medic
1st Squad: Vox Caster, Flamer
2nd Squad: Vox Caster, Flamer
3rd Squad: Vox Caster, Meltagun
4th Squad: Vox Caster, Meltagun


Valkyrie Assault Carrier: Multiple Rocket Pods
Vendetta

Leman Russ Demolisher: Heavy Flamer
Leman Russ: Heavy Bolter Sponsors
1st Platoon is built around sitting on objectives and not moving, with a mobile command company to counter any chargers, either by absorbing the charge, or toasting them after combat.


2nd Platoon can advance across the battlefield to take objectives in enemy hands, and also means they have to wipe out 5 elements before they cannot contest an objective.

The Valkyrie and Vendetta are there to either get my troops across the battlefield quickly (I am looking at you Scout moves) and allowing me to get some units right in the enemies face early on, these speed bumps should help so an enemy advance toward me.

The Demolisher can happily advance across the table with 2nd Platoon to help them content the objective and to bring its Demolisher Cannon to bear, while the standard Russ can help out 1st Platoon as a stationary firebase.

The Company command squad is basically there as ablative armour for Creed whose huge command range and abundance of orders can really make an Imperial Guard shooting phase into even more of a monster than usual.

If the mission is not objective based then I will have 11 Killpoints on the table (after merging squads) and I don’t think that is too terrible for 1500 points of IG.


The main thing I will struggle against is the drop podding meltas, Long Fangs and the dreaded Landraiders. Terminators could cause me some problems, however the suicidal Plasma Gun Command squad of death might deter them away from me.

As usual any comments or questions let me know.

Comments

Rusty Nail said…
Brave choice against Blood Angles - Death Company and FNP are a pain, (excuse the pun), to get rid of and them having fast Rhinos, Vindicators etc.. is awkward as well.
Because of BA's I've had to change my "All comers" list quite a bit so will see how it gets on against this target rich environment!
Kraggi said…
Well in all honesty I have avoided all information on the Blood Angels other than a few small tidbits I have seen here and there.

This list may very well change a lot against considering the BA force, but I think it shouldnt do tooo badly against all the other armies.