Caledonian Deathwatch Network - Interview




I managed to snag some time recently with Liam who runs the Caledonian Deathwatch Network, he was kind enough to answer a few questions for me! 

If at the end of this you are interested in finding out more, feel free to leave a comment, or go and follow them on twitter

So what is the Caledonian Deathwatch Network?

The Caledonian Deathwatch Network is designed to be a hub for "Scottish 40k". I wanted to build a website where anyone who was interested in playing Warhammer 40,000 in Scotland could visit our site and find out lots of useful information. We have event photos from historical events (some UK ones too), but also a calendar which links to upcoming tournaments and gaming events. We also want to start putting out blog content - whether this is hobby focused, or even about competitive gaming. And I'd extend this invitation to anyone reading this post - if you have content you'd want to contribute, get in touch and we will work with you to make it happen!

When did it start up?

The site has been in development for about a month. We have also created a new Facebook and Twitter account to keep us in touch with social media. We will also be publishing new episodes of Caledonian Deathwatch Radio to the site, so stay tuned for those as well!

How long have you been gaming, and what games do you mainly play?

I originally picked up Warhammer 40,000 when i was a teenager, but I only really picked it up again seriously in 2010 when I moved back to Glasgow. I've been playing semi-competitively on and off since then.
Your favourite competitive army?

Undoubtedly Eldar of some description - I have a Wraith Construct and Jetbike Eldar army (with Dark Eldar and Harlequins in the mix).

Your favourite fun army to play?

I'm currently running an Adeptus Mechanicus list with Cawl and Celestine, which is actually a lot of fun! Its shooty, but has other elements that make it a dynamic fun army to play!

Maelstrom or Eternal War Missions?

I like the combined format that events like Dark Millennium or Caledonian Uprising use, it makes mission more balanced I reckon.

You run the annual Dark Millennium tournament, which just recently hit 50 players - making it the largest independent event in Scotland - what was your inspiration to start it out?

The initial credit actually goes to Scott Milne who ran the tournament "Clan Wars" in 2012 (I think). This
was the first time that I had seen Common Ground Games - as soon as I saw the venue, I knew that I
wanted to run an event. The venue is fantastic, and just offers so much. I'm stunned that Dark Millennium
has grown to the size that it has!

What plans do you think you have for next years event?

I ran a very customisedrules pack this year, so I don't know if I will stick with this, or perhaps revert to the traditional ETC style missions. I think the pack went down reasonably well, and I had a lot of fun developing the missions.

What’s the best bit about running a competitive event like this?

The best bit for me is seeing so many cool armies in action - I can take a wander around the room and see what is winning against what, and some cool themed armies too.

What’s the worst bit about running a competitive event like this?

I love playing 40k obviously, but if there are odd numbers I need to be the "spare player" - which is great from the fact that I’m getting some games in, but it makes the administration a headache on the day. That being said, my friend Brian (who has integral in getting the site started too) was available on the day to help this year, which was an enormous help.

Do you spend more time theorycrafting or getting those models out on the table to prove the point?

Generally I don’t get much time to game outside of Tournaments, so I don't really get to try my ideas until they are well into the meat grinder! I am usually tinkering on battlescribe a couple of times a week though, often running ideas past Innes who will usually go "That's rubbish!"

What do you most look forward to this year for 40k?

Codex: Drukhari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are your thoughts on Forgeworld inclusion?

I think that Chapter Approved really raised the prices on most FW stuff - so to be honest I have no issue with it at the moment. It was allowed in the DM rules pack, but very few people brought any FW toys.



Comments