Ultramarines Horus Heresy List 1020 Points


Ok,

So 1020 isnt your usual game size, but when I hit 1019 points, my brother was quite happy to pay for two special weapons he had modelled (but wasnt using) to bring us to 1020, and me not needing to trim the fat any more. 


This was my first attempt at 1,000 points , following on from some advice I saw on WarpstoneFlux I figured I would try the MSU approach (spoliers: not my best idea!).

Get the list after the jump!





HQ:
Praetor
Cataphrattci Terminator Armour, Combi Weapon, ChainFist
Rites of War: Pride of the Legion

Troop:
Veteran Squad (5), Combi Weapon, Plasma Gun
Veteran Squad (5), Combi Weapon, Heavy Bolter with Suspensor Web
Tarantos Terminators (5), Reaper Autocannon, Volkite Charger, Lightning Claws x 3, Power Fist x 2
Cataphrattci Terminators (5), Reaper Autocannon, Chainfist x 2, Power Sword, Lightning Claw x 1, Twin Lighting Claws x 1

Heavy:
Tactical Heavy Support (5), Rocket Launchers

This rockets in at 1019 points. 



So what went wrong?

Well in the game I had last night the MSU aspect of the list failed me badly, my Rocket Launchers only hit 6 out of 15 times, and only did damage on three of those.

one of my Veteran squads were virtually wiped out by small numbers of wounds (6 saves, 4 fails)


It suffered from the MSU approach, too many small units and not enough firepower to deal with the enemy. 


So I have some changes in mind....


HQ:
Legion Centurion: Artificer Armour, Power Weapon, Combi Weapon

Troop:
Tactical Squad x 10
Tactical Squad x 10

Elites:
Tarantos Terminators (5), Reaper Autocannon, Volkite Charger, Lightning Claws x 3, Power Fist x 1, Chainfist x 1
Cataphrattci Terminators (5), Reaper Autocannon, Chainfist x 1, Power Sword, Lightning Claw x 2, Power Fist x 1

Heavy:
Tactical Heavy Support (7), Rocket Launchers

Total 997

This will increase my body count by 12, and removes the impact of giving away 2 VP's when I lost all my Vets / Terminators, and since the Terminators count as scoring in Elite slots anyway there is no real downside to this. 

The other option I have considered is:

HQ:
Legion Centurion: Artificer Armour, Power Weapon, Combi Weapon

Troop:
Tactical Squad x 10
Tactical Squad x 15
Tactical Squad x 15

Elites:
Tarantos Terminators (5), Reaper Autocannon, Lightning Claws x 3, Power Fist x 1, Chainfist x 1

Heavy:
Tactical Heavy Support (7), Rocket Launchers

Total: 995


That gives me 40 Bolter shots a turn, or 80 when I decide to Fury at long range, or 160 if I get my Furies in at short range...

7 Rocket Launchers should hopefully up my success rate regardless what I am shooting at. 

Comments

Cm284 said…
Interesting analysis - your last few posts have finally convinced me to take the plunge and get into 30K - have just started up a White Scars force!