Grey Knights - 1750 Points

So the list I have been using recently has run into a bit of a rock / paper / scissors problem.

Namely any army with some serious dedicated long range firepower.


There is one person I play in particular that does a good number on me unless the terrain / mission / dice are all with me. This isnt something I want to rely on.


Now I know he is an excellent general, and builds his lists very well.

I don't want to tailor my list to face him, because when I change it, it will be come my standard list for 1750 points. Although I appreciate by changing it because of him I am almost doing this (see the Dilema you put me in Tom!) 

So what do I change? Well firstly I reckon letting you know what I am using will help:

Grandmaster - Incinerator, Force Sword, Rad & Psychotroke Grenades


Grey Knight Terminators x 10, Psybolt Ammo, 2 Psycannons


Grey Knight Strike Squad x 10, Psybolt Ammo, 2 Psycannons


Grey Knight Interceptor Squad x 10, Psybolt Ammo, 2 Incinerators, Force Halberds x 7, Daemonhammer


Grey Knight Dreadknight, Personal Teleporter, Heavy Incinerator


Grey Knight Dreadknight, Personal Teleporter, Greatsword


So this is the list I used at a recent tournament and won with.

It relies on running forward all of my Teleporter units in the early game to give my oppoent some serious issues.


Now I fully admit that my first few moves in a recent game against him did not work to my advantage, something I need to work on.


However the survivability of the Dreadknights against these guys is non existant against 4 Meltas & 7 Lascannons. Especially when your opponent refuses to miss with any of those shots. The other problem is that by dropping just one Dreadknight you make it easier for your opponent to focus on the other one.

Add in the other 9 Rockets and I tend to lose a lot of my men early in the game.


So how to change this, without tailoring it to him (too much), or losing the elements I like.

I need soem way to keep my men alive while allowing them to get close enough to jump out and overwhelm the small Long Fang squads with massed firepower. The easiest way I can see to do this is going to be go Mech. So here is my proposal.

Librarian
Shrouding, Sanctuary, Quicksilver

Purifiers x 10

Force Halberd x 5, Daemonhammer, Incinerator x 4, Rhino

Grey Knight Strike Squad x 10
Psybolt Ammunition, 2 Psycannons, Rhino



Grey Knight Terminators x 10
Psybolt Ammunition, 2 Psycannons



Landraider
Godhammer Pattern, Psybolt Ammo, Multi-Melta


Grey Knight Interceptor Squad x 8
8 Force Halberds, Psybolt Ammunition

Total: 1748

This gives me the oppourtunity to advance my army forward as a Mech wall, the Librarian is able to pop Shrouding to increase the tanks chances of survival with Smoke Launchers up.

This could in theory get me 24" across the board for me to deploy my forces.

It does mean that 5 Terminators are potentially foot slogging their way over there, however it would free their Psycannons up if thats how I decided to combat squad them.

The second option (in my mind) is:

Librarian

Shrouding, Sanctuary


Grey Knight Strike Squad x 10
Psybolt Ammunition, 2 Psycannons, Rhino


Grey Knight Strike Squad x 10
Psybolt Ammunition, 2 Psycannons, Rhino


Purifiers x 10
Force Halberd x 5, Daemonhammer, Incinerator x 4, Rhino


Grey Knight Terminators x 5
Psycannon


Landraider
Godhammer Pattern, Psybolt Ammo, Multi-Melta


Grey Knight Interceptor Squad x 7
7 Force Halberds, Psybolt Ammunition

Total 1747

This one gives me three tanks o doom around my Landraider and is moving far more to an all shooting list.

The Interceptors (in both lists) are there to get in peoples faces and deal with any heavy artilley sitting at the back of the board. Hopefully they will draw fire away from the rest of my army (hopefully).



Comments